Two merged photographs present Marcus Foiles and retired Air Force Lt. Col. Gregg Montijo in an A-10 flight simulator during a tour at Davis-Monthan Air Force Base, Ariz., Jan. 27, 2017 (left), and July 1989 (right). Foiles was 10 years old in 1989 when he was granted a trip to Davis-Monthan AFB via the Make-A-Wish Foundation after being diagnosed with leukemia. Foiles made the trip back to Davis-Monthan AFB to reconnect with Montijo, the pilot who hosted the tour 28 years ago. (U.S. Air Force photo illustration/Airman 1st Class Nathan H. Barbour)
From the military services and around the DoD, here’s your SITREP for Thursday, Feb. 9, 2017.
- More than 66 years after he was lost while engaged in combat operations against the North Korean forces in the area of the Naktong Bulge, Cpl. Luis P. Torres was buried with full military honors during a reinterment ceremony at San Antonio, Texas.
- The aircraft carrier, USS Enterprise (CVN 65), was decommissioned during a ceremony held in the ship’s hangar bay this month.
- Cancer survivor beats the odds to fly with retired Air Force pilot nearly three decades after the two met.
- They’re taking color coding to a whole new level! Learn about these sailors’ role on the flight deck of USS Bataan (LHD 5).
- How much do you know about the mission of the Coast Guard’s International Ice Patrol?
Disclaimer: The appearance of hyperlinks does not constitute endorsement by the Department of Defense of this website or the information, products or services contained therein. For other than authorized activities such as military exchanges and Morale, Welfare and Recreation sites, the Department of Defense does not exercise any editorial control over the information you may find at these locations. Such links are provided consistent with the stated purpose of this DOD website.