From the military services and around the DoD, here’s your Morning SITREP for Friday, May 6.
- Frank Levingston, the oldest U.S. World War II vet, has died at age 110.
- At Joint Base Andrews, there was a rare appearance by David Letterman. The Commander in Chief, Vice President Biden, the First Lady, Dr. Jill Biden and others came together to celebrate the 75th anniversary of the USO and the 5th anniversary of Joining Forces.
- Earlier in the week, Michelle Obama and Dr. Biden met service members and their families at Fort Leonard Wood, Missouri. Reading Rainbow host LeVar Burton joined the First Lady in reading to students.
- Speaking of POTUS, President Obama signed a proclamation declaring today as Military Spouse Appreciation Day.
- In case you missed it, the here are some tips from the Navy on motorcycle safety.
- Finally, today is the 75th anniversary of the Republic P-47 Thunderbolt’s first flight.
Disclaimer: The appearance of hyperlinks does not constitute endorsement by the Department of Defense of this website or the information, products or services contained therein. For other than authorized activities such as military exchanges and Morale, Welfare and Recreation sites, the Department of Defense does not exercise any editorial control over the information you may find at these locations. Such links are provided consistent with the stated purpose of this DOD website.