By Autumn Onna, M.A.
Originally posted by Psychological Health Center of Excellence
You’ve likely heard of inTransition, the program that helps service members and veterans find mental health providers, but you may have questions about who’s eligible, when someone can join and what services are provided. Read these fast facts to learn more.
- inTransition is a free, voluntary program that assists military members in finding a new mental health provider any time they need one and provides a warm hand-off during times of transition (discharge, retirement, deployment, return from deployment, permanent change of station).
- Veterans do not need to have an honorable discharge to receive services through inTransition. Everyone is eligible.
- There are no limits on the number of times inTransition can be utilized – if you’ve used the program in the past, you’re free to come back and use it again any time you need it.
- Any veteran from any era can enroll or be referred by a provider to the program for assistance.
- inTransition serves National Guard members and reservists.
- If you’ve never received mental health services in the past but you think you need them now, even if many years have passed since military service, you can call inTransition for assistance in getting connected to care.
- The program is open to anyone who has served any length of service, including recruits who did not complete boot camp.
- There is NO expiration date. If you’ve been out of the service for any length of time, you are eligible to enroll in inTransition.
- Coaches provide assistance navigating mental health services in the Military Health System, Veterans Health Administration and community resources, as well as provide healthy lifestyle guidance for enhanced well-being.
- inTransition is accessible 24 hours a day, seven days a week, 365 days a year.
If you have served in the military and need mental health care, enroll in inTransition today:
- Call 800-424-7877
- Outside the United States (DSN): 800-424-4685
- Outside the United States (collect): 314-387-4700 (all calls are confidential and free)
Onna is the contracted outreach lead for inTransition and the Psychological Health Resource Center at the Psychological Health Center of Excellence. She has a master’s in military psychology.
Disclaimer: The appearance of hyperlinks does not constitute endorsement by the Department of Defense of this website or the information, products or services contained therein. For other than authorized activities such as military exchanges and Morale, Welfare and Recreation sites, the Department of Defense does not exercise any editorial control over the information you may find at these locations. Such links are provided consistent with the stated purpose of this DOD website.