Petty Officer 2nd Class Paul Mills, an aviation survival technician, trains in the swimming pool at Massachusetts Maritime Academy on Cape Cod in Massachusetts on Jan. 19, 2017. This rescue technique is what rescue swimmers use when bringing survivors to the basket to be hoisted into the awaiting MH-60 Jayhawk helicopter to bring them home safely. U.S. Coast Guard photo by Petty Officer 3rd Class Nicole J. Groll.
From the military services and around the DoD, here’s your SITREP for Tuesday, Feb 14, 2017.
- Coast Guard rescue swimmers gear-up against frigid New England conditions.
- The George H.W. Bush Carrier Strike Group commenced strike missions in support of Operation Inherent Resolve from the eastern Mediterranean Sea this week.
- Air Force leaders recognize the importance of STEM careers at recent awards ceremony.
- Marines participate in a three-stage exercise to familiarize themselves with grenades.
- Army spotlights the only black women’s Army Corps unit sent to Europe during WWII.
Disclaimer: The appearance of hyperlinks does not constitute endorsement by the Department of Defense of this website or the information, products or services contained therein. For other than authorized activities such as military exchanges and Morale, Welfare and Recreation sites, the Department of Defense does not exercise any editorial control over the information you may find at these locations. Such links are provided consistent with the stated purpose of this DOD website.