From the military services and around the DoD, here’s your Daily SITREP for Monday, Aug. 1, 2016.
- Marine Corps Gen. Joe Dunford, the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff who is currently in Turkey to visiting Incirlik Air Base, also stopped in Iraq this weekend, where he met with Iraqi, U.S. and coalition leaders and noticed an increase in confidence and optimism in the fight against ISIL.
- More than 500 U.S. Olympians are about to go for gold in Rio this year. Did you know several of them are service members? Get to know some of them here.
- Who knew you could watch “Elf” at the bottom of a 12-foot deep testing pool? It’s just one of the many things divers do to pass the time while testing human biometrics and gear at the Navy Experimental Diving Unit.
- The Air Force put out some sweet photos taken around the globe last week that highlight airmen supporting expeditionary operations.
- The USS Carney helped rescue nearly 100 migrants who were stuck adrift in the Mediterranean Sea over the weekend.
Disclaimer: The appearance of hyperlinks does not constitute endorsement by the Department of Defense of this website or the information, products or services contained therein. For other than authorized activities such as military exchanges and Morale, Welfare and Recreation sites, the Department of Defense does not exercise any editorial control over the information you may find at these locations. Such links are provided consistent with the stated purpose of this DOD website.